Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Rain Faces Provisional Seizure of Property




A building in Southern Seoul, in Cheongdam-dong; (as seen above) owned by K-pop star Rain may be provisionally banned from being disposed of following his loss in a compensation lawsuit in the United States over a concert cancellation.

But Rain's agency, JTune Entertainment, said that any provisional seizure of the building would be impossible according to domestic law.

Last Thursday, a federal court in Hawaii ordered the 26-year-old star and his then-agency, JYP Entertainment, to pay more than $8 million (11 billion won) in compensation to Honolulu-based promoter Click Entertainment. They also have to pay lawyers' fees for Click, with the total compensation reaching $9 million (12 billion won).

The concert, part of his world tour "Rain's Coming", was canceled several days before its scheduled date in June 2007. Click President Lee Seung-su testified that he lost about $1.5 million and suffered damage to his reputation and business due to the cancellation.

After the verdict, Lee said Monday that he will take a step to provisionally seize Rain's and JYP's property, including Rain's building in Cheongdam-dong, which he purchased last year. The price of the building is estimated at over 15 billion won. Lee said he would also seek authorization to attach all earnings that Rain has made with the William Morris Agency, an entertainment company with which Rain signed a contract last year for his U.S. activities.

JTune and Click, however, have different opinions about whether the latter can seize the building.

JTune said Tuesday that even if Click starts a provisional seizure process, the seizure is impossible.

"The seizure of JYT's real estate in the U.S. and here may be possible, but the request to attach Rain's Korean property is impossible according to Korean law. Click may be able to seize Rain's earnings through William Morris", an official of the company said.

Meanwhile, Click said a "provisional" seizure was possible while actual seizure was impossible, saying a Korean court would likely allow the former if the company submits the U.S. court's ruling as evidence.

In the ruling, the federal court ordered Rain and JYP to pay $2.4 million each in punitive damages, $1 million for damages related to fraud and $2.2 million for breach of contract.

Rain's lawyer said they cancelled the concert because a proper stage was not ready and Rain could not use his name in the U.S. due to a copyright challenge from a Beatles tribute band named Rain. The star also testified that he had every intention to perform and he had no hand in the cancellation.

JTune said it is preparing an appeal. It is said that Rain and JYP spent more than 500 million won in fees for five lawyers.

Source: koreatimes.co.kr

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

U.S. Court Orders 'Rain' to Pay $8 Million



A court in the United States has ordered Korean entertainer Rain to pay more than US$8 million for cancelling a scheduled concert in Honolulu in 2007.

A federal jury in Hawaii said the 26-year-old and his agency should pay Click Entertainment, the Hawaiian promoter, compensation including punitive damages of nearly $5 million.

However, Rain and JYP Entertainment say they fulfilled their obligations for the concert and Click's contract was with another promotion company called Revolution Entertainment, which then owned the North American rights to Rain's concerts.

Source: arirang.co.kr

Monday, March 23, 2009

So Ji-sub more popular than the pretty boys?


Although Lee Min-ho, Kim Beom and Kim Hyeong-jeong's popularity is higher than ever, the popularity of So Ji-sub beats it!

So Ji-sub had narrated the film, "Gift" and in the survey that went along with this film, the fans have chosen So as a man to be in their dreams where they would give a gift to over the actors from "Boys Ovr Flowers".

The film, "Gift" will be released on the 26th of March and is anticipated greatly.

Source: www.cyworld.com

Friday, March 20, 2009

U.S. Acts Quickly to Grab the Rights of Another Korean Comedy



Kang Hyeong-cheol's "Scandal Makers" ("Speedy Scandal") barely three months after its Korean release is set to be remade in the U.S. The William Morris Talent Agency, one of the biggest above the line talent agencies in the U.S snapped the film up after seeing a screener. The Agency represents and has represented some of the biggest in Hollywood including actors Denzel Washington, Russell Crowe and Richard Gere and directors Quentin Tarantino Ridley Scott and Clint Eastwood. Barry Sonenfeld director of Men in Black, TV drama Pushing up Daisies and producer of many other U.S TV dramas is set to direct and produce.

The Korean release stars Cha Tae-hyeon, who also appeared in "My Sassy Girl" (2001), another major comedy to be bought up by the U.S. Cha plays a popular radio host in his thirties who used to be a star in his teens. One of his young female listeners turns up on the scene claiming to be his daughter and her son - his grandson.

In Korea, "Scandal Makers" ("Speedy Scandal") overturned "200 Pounds of Beauty" as the biggest selling comedy in Korean history with 8.2 admissions. Despite its box office pull in Korea, it remains to be seen how Hollywood can rework it into U.S cinema gold as was not the case with the remake of "My Sassy Girl".

Source: www.koreanfilm.or.kr

Thursday, March 19, 2009

Rain looks stunning even for court!


Korean star, Rain also known as Jeong Ji-hoon has been in Hawaii for court! He has been sued for his cancellation of a concert. However, even to court, Rain looks stunning in the black suit and sunglasses!

Source: www.cyworld.com

Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Rain Questioned Over Cancelled Hawaii Concert


South Korean pop star Rain appeared at a federal court in Hawaii Monday to testify on his abruptly cancelled concert there in 2007, which cost a Honolulu-based concert agency $1.5 million.

His appearance in the courtroom was made on the last day of the hearing, which began March 10, according to AP and other international media.

Rain ㅡ whose real name is Jung Ji-hoon ㅡ testified he had every intention of performing in Hawaii and other U.S. states but a series of abrupt concert cancellations were out of his control.

"I was not the person that canceled the concerts", Rain was quoted as saying. "I would love to perform in North America. The cancellation was regrettable".

He was poised, polite and seemed at ease as he answered questions for about 90 minutes in Korean through a court interpreter, it reported.

The 27-year-old singer and his producers are being sued over the abrupt cancellation of a June 2007 concert in Honolulu, Hawaii.

Hawaii-based Click Entertainment Inc. alleges in the suit that Rain and his producers defrauded it of more than $500,000 paid in licensing fees. It's also seeking additional damages for the cost of staging the event, including the rental of Aloha Stadium, stage production, travel, hotel accommodations, merchandising and advertising.

The company also claims it has sustained losses of valuable business opportunities, earnings and income in amounts to be proven during the trial. In addition, the company has suffered serious and lasting harm to its business goodwill and professional reputation, the lawsuit said.

But the allegation was refuted by an official at JYP, a South Korean entertainment agency backing the singer and producers, during a separate session.

Byun Sang-bong, JYP's vice president and chief financial officer, blamed the cancellation and other problems on promotion company Star M. Byun said a legal copyright challenge in Nevada over the name "Rain" was another issue the company faced at the time.

Even though Rain's trip to Hawaii this time was motivated by an undesirable situation, it allowed Korean fans and his staff to be confident that the Korean entertainer has a substantial fan base, needed to succeed in the United States, the world's largest entertainment market.

Local media reported Rain was greeted by hundreds of cheering fans upon arrival at Honolulu International Airport and bombarded with flowers, gift baskets, and fans who just wanted to touch him.
_________________________
South Korean pop star and actor Rain, 26, flashes a Hawaiian "shaka" sign as he arrives at federal court on Monday, Rain, whose real name is Jung Ji-hoon, and his producers are being sued over the performer's abrupt cancellation of a June 2007 concert in Honolulu.

Source: koreatimes.co.kr /
Park Si-soo, Staff Reporter

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Late Actress Was Forced to Have Sex With Showbiz VIPs



Police have started investigating the authenticity of a note actress Jang Ja-yeon allegedly left before committing suicide on March 8. The note said she was unable to withstand the pressure of entertaining and having sex with program directors and corporate and media executives.

The former manager of the 30-year-old actress made public her alleged handwritten letters. Jang, who recently starred in the hit drama, "Boys Over Flowers" was found dead in an apparent suicide at her home in Bundang, Gyeonggi Province.

According to the Bundang Police Station, Jang's letter said she was beaten, forced to serve drinks, act as an escort at golf matches and coerced into sex with several program directors, CEOs and media executives.

Police said they obtained the list of names mentioned in the document but would decide on making them public after confirming whether the document in question is "authentic".

The police searched nine places including Jang's former and current agencies and her residence and seized the document from a broadcasting station, Saturday. The document will first go through a graphology test to confirm her handwriting and then police will investigate the content.

The letter also had some 10 names of program directors and other VIPs, but the police said they must conduct further investigation to verify the credibility of the document before summoning those mentioned.

"The document had thumb prints and a social security number and seems to have been written by Jang", a police officer said.

Her family members first opposed revealing the document but changed their minds and asked for further investigation since some contents of the letter had already been disclosed.

Yoo Jang-ho, Jang's former manager and head of management agency Hoyaspotainment, were in possession of the document and first leaked it to the public. He was hospitalized after a failed suicide attempt, Friday.

However, police said they are not sure whether the document they have found is the one Yoo disclosed and presumed the possibility of the existence of more than one document. Yoo said he burnt the letter in front of Jang's family and does not have any copies of the letter.

Kim Sung-hoon, head of Jang's last agency, was quoted as claiming that the documents are fabricated, adding that Jang's former manager "fabricated" the letters out of his disgruntlement over four criminal and civil lawsuits filed against him.

Meanwhile, the Fair Trade Commission (FTC) will provide standardized contract forms to entertainment agencies in the first half of the year.

"Jang's letter aroused concern toward the unfairness of entertainers' contracts once again", a FTC official said. "We found several unfair contracts at big agencies last year, but it's almost impossible to investigate hundreds of small- and medium-sized companies".

The FTC will continuously supervise management agencies to rid them of unfair contracts in addition to the enforcement of standard contract terms.

Source: koreatimes.co.kr